In this topic Menu collapsed
Modification date 06/17/2021 - 14:38
Which COVID-19 vaccines are being used in the Netherlands
Four vaccines against COVID-19 are currently being used in the Netherlands:
- Moderna - The Moderna vaccine is an mRNA vaccine and is given in 2 vaccinations.
Read more about the Moderna vaccine
- Pfizer/BioNTech (Comirnaty) - The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine (brand name: Comirnaty) is an mRNA vaccine and is given in 2 vaccinations.
Read more about the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine
- AstraZeneca - The AstraZeneca vaccine is a vector vaccine and is given in 2 vaccinations. The Health Council of the Netherlands has published an advisory report on the interval between the 2 vaccinations with AstraZeneca. See also the frequently asked questions about the interval for vaccination with AstraZeneca. There is also an advisory report from the Health Council and a government decision to offer the AstraZeneca vaccine exclusively to people born in 1960 or before. See also the frequently asked questions about AstraZeneca side-effects.
Janssen. - The Janssen vaccine is a vector vaccine and is given in 1 vaccination.
- Read more about the Janssen vaccine
How the COVID-19 vaccines work
- The COVID-19 vaccines made by Pfizer/BioNTech and by Moderna are RNA vaccines. These RNA vaccines contain a protective envelope of lipids (fat) with an instruction (code) that tells your cells to make spike proteins. These are the spiky protrusions on the exterior of the coronavirus. The immune system recognises the spike proteins as foreign substances and starts making antibodies.
- The vaccines made by AstraZeneca and by Janssen are vector vaccines. The vector vaccines contain an inactivated cold virus (that cannot replicate) with an instruction (code) that tells your cells to make spike proteins. The immune system reacts by producing antibodies, just as it does in response to the RNA vaccines.
|Pfizer/BioNTech(Comirnaty)||Official Dutch package leaflet||Vaccine factsheet|
|Moderna||Official Dutch package leaflet||Vaccine factsheet|
|AstraZeneca||Official Dutch package leaflet||Vaccine factsheet|
|Janssen||Official Dutch package leaflet||Vaccine factsheet|
There is no gelatin, chicken protein or antibiotics in RNA vaccines made by Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna or in the vector vaccines made by AstraZeneca and Janssen.