Storage and distribution
RIVM is responsible for coordinating the storage and distribution of COVID-19 vaccines in the Netherlands (including the islands of Aruba, Bonaire, St Eustatius, Saba, Curaçao and St Maarten). RIVM has many years of experience with vaccinations as a result of the National Immunisation Programme and the seasonal flu jab. Based on that knowledge and experience, RIVM has been designated to coordinate implementation of the COVID-19 vaccinations.
Communication to professionals
RIVM is responsible for communicating about the vaccines to the healthcare professionals implementing the vaccinations.
RIVM organises the invitations to the target groups and composes the invitation letters. This takes place in close consultation with various parties in the healthcare sector.
Registration of vaccination data
RIVM has a national registration system: the COVID-19 vaccination Information and Monitoring System (CIMS). CIMS is used to keep track of key data on COVID-19 vaccination that are important in controlling the epidemic.
Since 8 April, everyone can view their own vaccination details from the register by logging in with DigiD, if they granted permission for their data to be registered.
Read more about vaccination registration and privacy.
Multiple organisations are involved in the COVID-19 vaccinations
- The Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport (VWS) decides on central procurement of the vaccines, and also decides who gets which vaccine and when;
- The Health Council provides advice on who receives which vaccine;
- The Medicines Evaluation Board (CBG-MEB) evaluates the vaccines and publishes the package leaflets for the vaccines;
- The Pharmacovigilance Centre Lareb keeps track of the side-effects;
- The Municipal Public Health Services (GGDs) administer vaccinations;
- General practitioners (GPs) administer vaccinations;
- Hospitals administer vaccinations for specific groups