Piloting Responsible Research and Innovation in industry.
In the PRISMA project, RIVM and its four consortium partners will conduct pilot studies with eight companies in order to help them to better integrate Responsible innovation in their innovation process and business practices. These pilots will provide case studies and good practices on responsible research and innovation (RRI).
On the basis of the pilots, we will develop a roadmap that will help other companies also to integrate RRI in their businesses. Several technological fields will be included in the pilots, namely synthetic biology, nanotechnology, self-driving vehicles, and the internet of things.
PRISMA main objectives
- Integration of Responsible Research & Innovation (RRI) in the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) policies of 8 companies
- Providing evidence on how the RRI approach and attention for the gender dimension can improve the innovation process and its outcomes
- The development and testing of a roadmap that helps industries to implement RRI in their innovation processes as part of their CSR policy in order to deal with uncertain and sometimes partly unknown risks and public and ethical concerns of transformative technologies
- Broad uptake of this roadmap by companies through, industry associations, CSR and branch organisations as well as governments and Chief Science Officers
RIVM is responsible for work package 1 and has delivered an inventory of RRI -approaches relevant to this project (gender & diversity, specific challenges for transformative industries). This work resulted in an overview of practical tools (deliverable D1.1+ accessible Toolkit) aimed at pilot companies and future users. Furthermore, we will prepare the eight pilots (design, plan of action) including a strategy to include the results of the pilots in the CSR-policies of the companies involved.
RIVM will also play a role in:
- Testing and adapting of the toolbox
- Making the toolbox part of the final roadmap
- Development of a module about Safe Innovation for the Massive Open Online Course as part of the dissemination of the gained knowledge obtained in this project.
RIVM brings relevant expertise to PRISMA in the fields of risk assessment on Manufactured Nanomaterials, Synthetic Biology and Safe Innovation Approach. We also have experience in initiating knowledge platforms and stakeholders interaction. RIVM colleagues involved in PRISMA are Jaco Westra, Pim Klaassen en Korienke Smit
What is Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI)?
Responsible business practices are widely recognized as Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). In the PRISMA project, we want to extend these practices to the Research and Development (R&D) and innovation process of companies. This is called Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI). RRI may be defined as ‘on-going process of aligning research and innovation to the values, needs and expectations of society.’ A central idea is that social and ethical issues brought about by new innovations are anticipated and integrated into the innovation and design process from the start. This process creates more value for users and society. Furthermore, because this process encourages timely consideration of potential issues that products may raise, it sidesteps or mitigates scenarios in which companies face public criticism.
Organisation of the project
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No. 710059. More information can be found on the PRISMA website.