Population Health Information Research Infrastruture Health Information project on COVID-19
Setting up a research infrastructure to facilitate and generate the best available evidence for research on the health and well-being of populations impacted by COVID-19.
PHIRI is a three-year Horizon 2020 project that aims to lay the foundation for a federated research infrastructure on population health, to support research across Europe underpinning (public health) policy decisions. PHIRI’s initial focus is the impact of COVID-19.
PHIRI was launched in November 2020 and and will run until October 2023. 41 partners in 30 European countries are involved in the project.
The project builds on the BRIDGE Health project and the Joint Action Infact and RIVM expertise on Public Health Foresight Studies (PHFS). See also the RIVM magazine Looking beyond COVID-10, about the future of our health.
RIVM leads Work Package 9 (WP9), which aims to support countries in doing their own public health foresight studies. WP9 aims to gain insights into possible future health impacts of the COVID-19 outbreak by using foresight methodologies and through this draw lessons for the EU.
WP9 follows a stepwise approach which is reflected in its tasks:
- Task 9.1. To prepare an overview of current European foresight-related activities
- Task 9.2. To develop and provide foresight capacity building to level the knowledge needed for performing foresight studies
- Task 9.3. To support members states in exploring the indirect impacts of COVID-19 on population health by identifying key uncertainties and developing scenarios.
- Task 9.4. To develop guidance in finding promising policy strategies, to anticipate possible future trends or achieve a more desirable future.
In addition to WP9, RIVM also contributes to the following work packages:
- WP3 Outreach, engagement and sustainability. RIVM performs a health information system assessment of Malta and vice versa.
- WP 4 Health Information Portal for COVID-19. RIVM delivers information to the Portal.
- WP 6 Research Use Cases Measuring the Impact of COVID-19 on Population Health.
- WP 8 Rapid Exchange Forum. RIVM participates in the so-called REF in which questions from Member States are answered in a matter of day.
Milestones and Deliverables WP9
- Milestone 9.1: Survey ‘foresight-related activities’
- Deliverable 9.1: Overview of foresight-related activities and Foresight Capacity and Activities Survey
- Milestone 9.2: The compact guide to public health foresight
- Deliverable 9.2: Capacity building Workshops - Public Health Foresight Studies Training
- Milestone 9.3 Policy workshop
- Deliverable 9.3: Presentations by countries and synthesis report
- Deliverable 9.4. A factsheet with main outcomes for policymaking from WP9.
RIVM colleagues involved are Mariken Tijhuis (coordinator PHIRI the Netherlands), Henk Hilderink, Marlous Rodríguez and Daniela Moye Holz.
This project has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 101018317.