One Health Structure in Europe
COHESIVE is a three-year project which aims to develop sustainable One Health approaches with respect to signalling, assessing and controlling zoonoses at the national level within EU countries and across borders. COHESIVE is part of the One Health European Joint Programme. RIVMNational Institute for Public Health and the Environment is the coordinator of the COHESIVE project.
- Stimulating sustainable One Health approaches at the national level within EU countries, focussing on strengthening human veterinary collaboration with respect to early signalling and assessing new and (re) emerging zoonotic threats.
* Development of practical guidelines for countries to set up One Health collaborations as well as a decision-making tool to help select the best suitable tool supporting risk assessment in a specific situation. These guidelines will be published autumn 2021. For more information see the three infographics What, Why and How.
- A roadmap towards an EU zoonoses risk assessment or risk analysis structure. The first small steps in this roadmap will be identified within COHESIVE, with an EU zoonoses structure as a long-term possible goal on the horizon.
* Approaches: learning from existing cross-country signal exchange pathways, learning from cross-country outbreaks in the past and looking into possibilities of sharing horizon scanning data over country borders.
- Developing a COHESIVE prototype information system that integrates the existing national databases and systems on Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) and classical epidemiology aimed at outbreak investigations and risk-based surveillance.
* The aim of this software platform is to provide IT tools and data that are quickly available, usable and helpful in outbreak situations and for risk assessments. Especially tools for tracing, WGS and standardised risk assessments will be established, harmonised and improved, all freely available in the cloud as easy to use applications.
- Capacity building within and between EU countries at several levels within the area of zoonotic diseases.
- Austria: The Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety (AGES)
- Belgium: Sciensano
- Germany: The Federal Institute for Risk Assessment FLI: Friedrich Loeffler Institute (BfR), Friedrich Loeffler Institute (FLI)
- Italy: Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale dell'Abruzzo e del Molise IZS AM, Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale della Lombardia e dell’Emilia‐Romagna (IZS LER), Istituto Superiore di Sanita (ISS)
- Norway: Norwegian Institute of Public Health (NIPH), Norwegian Veterinary Institute (NVI)
- Sweden: National Veterinary Institute Sweden PHA: Public Health Agency NFA: National food Agency (SVA)
- The Netherlands: National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVMNational Institute for Public Health and the Environment ), Wageningen Bioveterinary Research (WBVR)
- United Kingdom: Animal and Plant Health Agency PHE: Public Health England (APHA), Public Health England (PHE)
COHESIVE is part of the One Health European Joint Programme (EJP) which has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement No 773830.