Use DNFCS data
There are several ways to get data of the Dutch food consumption surveys from 2003 onwards:
- Website. Most important results of DNFCS 2012-2016 are published in Dutch on the website www.wateetnederland.nl.
- Publications. Most important results of the Dutch food consumption surveys can be found in various publications available on this website. More publications for DNFCS 2012-2016 will be available soon.
- RIVM-statline wih detailed results. For example the distribution of the intake, the consumption on consumption days, etc. Previous DNFCS are available as tables (PDF): DNFCS young adults, DNFCS young children, DNFCS 7-69 years and DNFCS older adults. The tables for DNFCS-young children are exclusively in Dutch.
- Request more detailed tables by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Request a copy of the total database.
Conditions to use dataset
- Public and private organizations can use the DNFCS data for e.g. research purposes, education or teaching. Given the complex structure of the data the use requires extensive expertise in the field of data processing.
- By means of a motivated application using attached form, a copy of the DNFCS data can be obtained from the RIVM.
- Even when an executive party of the (private) client has already access to the DNFCS data, the client needs to apply for use of DNFCS data.
- It is not allowed to distribute or sell any of the obtained data of DNFCS to other parties.
- The data are highly pseudonymized, making it practically impossible to trace affected individuals. However, each agency that receives and uses DNFCS data is obliged to treat the data as if they were personal data. This means that:
- User will not perform any act which would lead to the re-identification of the individuals concerned, including by linking different sets of data, comparing and processing data.
- User shall take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard a level of security attuned to the risk, so that the use of the provided data complies with the requirements under the EU Data protection laws and other Applicable Legislation and Regulations concerning the Processing of Personal Data, and the protection of the rights of Data Subjects is safeguarded.
- When third parties get unintended access to the data, this will be initially seen as a data breach. In this case, the user shall notify RIVM (via firstname.lastname@example.org) without unreasonable delay and no later than within 24 hours after discovery of a personal data breach or a reasonable suspicion of a personal data breach.
- The agency is obliged to report their publications based on the obtained DNFCS data to the administrator of the data. This reporting needs to be done before December 10th of the calendar year of publication.
- In order to get insight in the use of the DNFCS data, the RIVM summarizes the surveys carried out by public and private organizations using DNFCS data, on a yearly basis.
- Publications of results based on the provided DNFCS data need to be correctly
acknowledged (name of study):
- DNFCS 2012-2016; RIVM
- DNFCS-Older adults (2010-2012); RIVM
- DNFCS 2007-2010; RIVM;
- DNFCS-Young children (2005-2006); RIVM
- DNFCS-Young adults (2003); RIVM
- Refer for the method description to the RIVM-report of the study concerned:
- Van Rossum CTM, et al. The diet of the Dutch. Results of the Dutch National Food Consumption Survey 2012-2016. RIVM report 2020-0083.
- Ocké MC, Buurma-Rethans EJM, de Boer EJ, Wilson-van den Hooven C, Etemad-Ghameslou Z, Drijvers JJMM, van Rossum CTM. Diet of community-dwelling older adults : Dutch National Food Consumption Survey Older adults 2010-2012. Bilthoven: RIVM 2012. RIVM-report 050413001.
- Van Rossum CTM, Fransen HP, Verkaik-Kloosterman J, Buurma-Rethans EJM and Ocké MC. Dutch National Food Consumption Survey 2007-2010: Diet of children and adults aged 7 to 69 years. Bilthoven: RIVM, 2011. RIVM Report 350070006.
- Ocké MC, Van Rossum CTM, Fransen HP, Buurma EJM, De Boer EJ, Brants HAM, et al. Dutch National Food Consumption Survey Young Children 2005/2006. Bilthoven: RIVM, 2008. RIVM Report 350070001.
- Hulshof KFAM, Ocké MC, Van Rossem CTM, Buurma-Rethans EJM, Brants HAM, Drijvers JJMM, Ter Doest D. Resultaten van de Voedselconsumptiepeiling 2003. Bilthoven: RIVM, 2004. RIVM Rapport 350030002.
Copy of the dataset
A copy of the total dataset of one or more DNFCS can be requested on certain conditions. These conditions relate to data of DNFCS Core Survey (2012-2016), DNFCS Older adults (2010-2012), DNFCS Core Survey (2007-2010), DNFCS Young children 2005-2006 and DNFCS Young adults (2003). The conditions on which data can be made available are given below.
How to apply/publish?
A copy of the DNFCS database can be obtained from the RIVM. The conditions for use are given above and attached to the application form for use dataset DNFCS . A completely filled and signed application form mentioning the reason for application and aim of use of the data can be send by email to VCP@rivm.nl. If neccesary, the form can also be send by mail to the correspondence address mentioned on the application form.
After receipt of the data publications based on these DNFCS data need to be reported at the administrator of the data, before December 10th of the calendar year of publication. Please use the Publication form on use of dataset DNFCS.